Greenhouse Gas Reduction Rebates
SHELD’s GHG reduction rebates are offered to promote the reduction of burning fossil fuels (heating oil, gasoline, diesel, etc.) locally within the town of South Hadley. Not only will the reduction in GHG help fight climate change, but it will also improve the quality of the air we breathe! Items must be purchased between January 1, 2023, and December 31, 2023. The rebate application must be submitted by January 31, 2024.
General Eligibility Requirements
- Applicant must be a current electric customer of South Hadley Electric Light Department.
- Only customers residing in 1–4 unit residences are eligible to participate.
- Only new equipment is eligible.
- Program terms and conditions are subject to change or cancellation without notice.
- The rebate amount cannot exceed the purchase price of the equipment.
Electric Vehicle Chargers
Customers that purchase a ChargePoint or Juice Box charger, and sign up for Connected Homes will receive a $300 rebate.
Electric Lawn Equipment
Using a gasoline lawn mower for 1 hour produces as much GHG as a 100-mile car trip! Not only that, but you are directly breathing the exhaust from your own gas-powered lawn mower.
|Electric lawn mower||$100|
- The rebate is valid for both corded and battery powered equipment.
- Limit 1 rebate every 5 years for the same type of equipment.
Using an electric bike for short trips around town instead of a car not only reduces GHG but will also reduce traffic and ease parking congestion.
- The rebate limit is $200 per electric bike, limit of two rebates per SHELD account every 5 years.
Electric Service Upgrades
Burning fossil fuels in homes for heat and hot water, as well as in our vehicles, is a major source of GHG. The best alternatives include “electrification” of those systems, usually in the form of heat pumps/mini splits, and electric vehicles. To accommodate these technologies, some homes may require changes to the household electrical system. In addition to rebates for EV chargers and heating/cooling equipment, this rebate will help pay for those electric service upgrades.
- The rebate limit is $200 for each account service location.
- The electric upgrade must be related to the installation of new equipment.
Or Apply by Mail:
South Hadley Electric Light Department
85 Main St
South Hadley, MA 01075
Residential Battery Rebate
An incentive for customers to install residential battery systems that are compatible with the Connected
Homes program. The customer must enroll the battery in the Connected Homes program to be eligible
for the rebate. Batteries must comply with NEC, all applicable safety and fire codes and receive all
appropriate approvals from SHELD. For more information or to apply call the NextZero hotline at (413)
|Residential Battery Rebate||Qualifying Brands||$100 per KWH of battery capacity|
|Behind the Meter Battery||Generac, Sonnen||$100 per KWH of battery capacity|
• All batteries must be integrated in the Connected Homes program
• Battery capacity must be between 7.5 - 20.0 KWH
SHELD reserves the right to limit, approve or deny applications
For more information, call toll-free: 1 (413) 536-1050